Irish Chocolate Cake
Irish chocolate cake perfect for St Patrick’s Day
250ml Guinness or Murphy’s stout
200g caster sugar
200g soft brown sugar
80g cocoa powder
150ml sour cream
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
275g plain flour
2½ teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
115g cream cheese, room temperature
45g butter, room temperature
300g icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180°C/ fan 160°C/gas mark 4. Line a 23cm springform tin and set aside.
- In a large pan heat the stout you are using, butter, sugars and cocoa powder -stirring until melted.
- Beat the sour cream, eggs and vanilla in a separate bowl and whisk into the stout/butter mixture. Fold in the flour and bicarbonate of soda.
- Pour the batter into the lined tin and bake for 45 minutes. Leave to cool completely in the tin.
- When the cake is cold, transfer it to a serving plate ready to ice.
- Lightly whip the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth, sieve the icing sugar over and beat to combine.
- Ice the top of the cake to resemble the famous pint.