Gnocchi with peas, bacon and parmesan
Gnocchi with peas, bacon and Parmesan
1kg Desiree potatoes
250g plain flour
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
2 eggs, beaten
180g smoked bacon lardons
180g frozen petit pois, defrosted
40g Parmesan, grated
- Preheat oven to 200ºC/fan 180ºC/gas mark 7.
- Wash and dry the potatoes. Prick each potato all over with a fork. Place on a baking tray and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove them from the oven, leave to cool and peel off the skins as soon as you are able to handle them.
- Sift the flour and salt on to your work surface in one mound. Rice the potatoes, using a potato ricer straight onto the flour. Make a well in the centre and add the eggs. Mix together until just combined into a soft dough. Be careful not to over work.
- On a floured surface cut the dough into 4 strips, roll each strip into a long sausage shape. Cut each into 2cm pieces, roll each over the prongs of a fork, toss in flour and place on a floured baking tray.
- Bring a large pan of water up to the boil and turn down to a simmer.
- Fry the lardons in a large frying pan for 3-4 mins, add the peas, stir to combine and remove from the heat.
- Add the gnocchi to the simmering water. When they start to float on the surface count to 5 and remove the gnocchi with a slotted spoon. Place straight into the bacon & pea mix. Stir to combine.
- Serve immediately in warm bowls and top with Parmesan